Matt Monro (Terence Parsons-Dec.1, 1930-Feb.7, 1985 was an English singer and a great int'l postwar entertainers throughout his 30-year career.
Matt Monro becomes employed i.a. as a driver among other things.
Yesterday (With accomp. directed by George Marun (Parlophone R 5348, 8.10.1965 which hits UK chart #8 on 21.10.1965. US LIBERTY F55847, 1965.
Yesterday was also released on the LP HEART BREAKERS (UK EMI EMTV23, 1980 and on the CD of the same name on 1.03.2003 (UK 7 46241 2 -20 GOLDEN GREATS FROM MATT MONRO.) Another great compilation on the 2CD Simply The Best released by NL DISKY DO 901965 on 15.12.2004. (36 tracks)
- Tom Bailey (June 18, 1957, Halifax, UK), vocals, keyboards
- Joe Leeway (Nov.15, 1955, Islington, London), percussion
- Alannah Currie (Sept.20, 1959, Auckland, NZ), percussion
- 1977: Aspiring classical Bailey having met friends Leeway and John Hadd at teacher training college, initially ignores these associations and forms THE THOMPSON TWINS (named after 2 characters in Hergé's cartoon Tin Tin [les Dupond et Dupont], with guitarist Peter Dodd and John Roog in Chesterfield, Derbys.
- 1978: They move to London with Hadd as agent and link up with drummerChris Bell.
- Feb. 1981: Band signs to Arista Record in UK [ex-bell records] and first release on the Tee label, Perfect Game, fails to chart.
- Aug. 1981: During a tour to promote releases, Currie joins the band on percussion. Old friend Leeway, until now a roadie, is also invited by Bailey to join after the group buys him a pair of bongos.
- Dec. 1985: A cover of REVOLUTION peaks at UK #56.
- UK reference : Arista TWINS10, September 29, 1985
- GER/BEL reference Arista 107 879, 1986
- Aug.16, 1997 : Yesterday is issued and released by Precious Organisation.
- Reference : JWLCD 31, UK chart #4.
- This picture sleeve is quickly deleted (dark-brown) to be replaced by another of light-brown colour.
- Dec. 1984 : Having gigged locally in Scotland all year, the group meets Elliot Davis who becomes its manager.
- Together they establish their own label, The Precious Organisation, and record a demo tape which they send to major companies in London.
- 1985 : From their demo alone, 9 major companies compete to sign them. Dave Bates, A&R at Phonogram wins, but only after guaranteeing that the manager will receive a monthly supply of Whiskas cat food - a small sign of faith.
- May 5, 1990 : Wet Wet Wet sing I Feel Fine at the "John Lennon Tribute Concert" at the Pier Head Arena in Merseyside to celebrate the songs of Lennon. (Proceeds go to John and Yoko-established Spirit Foundation.)
- Aug.11, 1990 : Release of the double A-side Stay With Me Heartaches / I Feel Fine which reaches UK #30 in the same month.
- UK references : vinyl 10", Phonogram / JEWEL 1310,
- vinyl 12" - 4-track single, Phonogram / JEWEL 1312,
- CD, single - double A-side, Phonogram / Precious Organisation JEWEL JWLCD 13.
- http://youtu.be/zJ9h8bbDxUg : live May 5, 1990.
- Marti Pellow (Mark McLoughlin-March 23, 1966, vocals,
- Graeme Clark-Apr.15, 1966, bass,
- Tom Cunningham-June 22, 1965, drums,
- Neil Mitchell-June 8, 1967, keyboards.
- 1982 : Clark, Cunningham and Mitchell, having formed a group while attending Clydebank high school, Glasgow, approach McLoughlin to front as vocalist and, as The Vortex Motion, plays CLASH cover versions, with its first gig at Clydebank community center.
- McLoughlin changes his name to Marti Pellow and the group settles on WET WET WET as a name, taken from a line in SCRITTI POLITTI song Getting Having And Holdings.
- May 21, 1988 : remake of The Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, from Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father released to raise funds and awareness for Childwatch Charity, tops UK chart, as a double A-side [Childline CHILD1, May 14, 1988] with Billy Bragg's She is Leaving Home (It is the only instance of 2 covers of the same Beatles song topping the charts - Joe Cocker's version hit the summit in November 1966.)
March 1981 : a 3 live-tracks recorded with John Lennon on Nov.28, 1974, is released as a tribute, makes UK #40 (Whatever gets you thru the night, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, I saw her standing there).
On Thanksgiving Night, Lennon makes what will be his final concert appearance at New York's Madison Square Garden joining Elton John to sing the 3 said songs (released as a 7" maxi 33 rpm single in UK [DJS 10965]). Also released in France as a 33 rpm on DJM - VOGUE 101440. Other releases in Germany : 0064.230, 1975; 27379-7, 1976. Italy : DJF 1149, 1976.
David Cassidy (b. Keith Partridge, April 12, 1950, New York, NY), son of actor Jack Cassidy and stepson of actress Shirley Jones, with a part on Broadway in "The Fig Leaves Are Falling" and small TV drama roles in i.a. "Bonanza", "The FBI", "Ironside".
Oct. 70 : The Partridge Family signs to Bell Records.
Aug. 10, 1974 : a revival of Lennon/McCartney's Please Please Me ("The Beatles wrote the soundtrack to my youth" is Keith's most notable quote of the time) climbs to UK #16.
US bell 45-605 , UK bell 1371/2008 273, SP/BEL/FR/IT : bell 2008 273. Picture sleeve from Belgium.
- Let it be (US TOP #17, May, 1970) and Eleanor Rigby (US R'n'B #5 and Pop #17, Nov.15, 1969) are taken from the album/LP This Girl's In Love With You (US TOP 100 #17) which is released in the late 1969.
- Some Let it be references :
- US Atlantic ATL 45-2751, May, 1970.
- UK Atlantic 2091-008, May, 1970.
- FR Atlantic 650 189, May, 1970.
- GER Atlantic ATL 70.453, May, 1970.
- US Atlantic ATL 45-2683. (Eleanor Rigby, Oct.15, 1969)
- Some references of the album/LP :
- US Atlantic SD 8248.
- UK Atlantic 2400 004, 1970.
- FR Atlantic 940 021, 1970.
- Re-released as a remastered CD by Rhino Atlantic in 1993.
- Rhino reference : 8122-71524-2 (quickly out of print)
- NL CD f35687, 1993.
- Re-released by Rhino Atlantic on July 15, 2008.
http://youtu.be/2UoTvwfo_rU (Let it be) ***** http://youtu.be/coESqhEbSQs (Eleanor Rigby)
London (European) reference 886 492 - 7, 1989. Help, a parody of Bananarama & Lananeeneenoonoo hits UK #3 in March 1989.
Both vocally and stylistically and featuring Bananarama themselves, comprising comediennes Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders and Kathy Burke in Comedy version, with profits from the record going to Comic Relief.
45 tours sorti en France le 24 février 1975 sur DJM 2043 003 : Philadelphia Freedom / I Saw Her Standing There (live).
45 tours sorti aux Pays-Bas en 1975 (probablement à la même date) sur DJM-j006-96442 avec Philadelphia Freedom en face B.
Sorti aussi en 45 tours sur metronome GER-934.006 en 1975 avec I Saw Her Standing There en face A.
28/11/1974: Elton et John chantent live I Saw Her Standing There et Whatever Gets You Thru The Night le jour du Thanksgiving lors d'un concert au Madison Square Garden de New York. Référence UK : DJM Djs.354, début janvier 1975.